Try this recipe out for lunch on a hot day!
Cold Ginger Tofu (Simmered or Pan Fried)
By Alyssa Moreau
1 block Tofu, firm (rinsed, drainted & patted dry)
1 to 2 tsp. Salt (for simmering the tofu in water)
4 pieces Star anise, whole
1 small piece Ginger, crushed
1 tbsp. Oil, light (safflower, canola)
1/8 tsp. Salt
2 tbsp. Ginger, fresh, minced
1/2 tsp. Garlic, minced
1/4 cup Green onions, minced
1/4 cup Chinese Parsley, minced
1 tsp. Toasted sesame oil (optional)
1. Cut tofu in half horizontally then each half into 4 equal pieces.
2. In a pot of boiling water (use just enough to cover the tofu), add 1-2 tsp. salt, star anise and ginger.
3. Immerse the tofu and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Cool in broth, if possible.
5. Drain the tofu, pat dry and chill.
6. Heat oil and salt in a pan, then add the minced ginger, garlic, green onions, Chinese parsley.
7. Use a blender or food processor to combine the ingredients to a pesto-like in consistency (add 1-2 tbsp. water or additional oil if too thick).
8. Cool and top tofu slices with a layer of the paste.
If you want even less oil, you can blend the minced ginger, garlic, green onions, Chinese parsley in the blender without heating it with the oil in step 6.
Serving Size: 132g
Total Fat: 12g (1.5g is Saturated)
Total Carbohydrate: 3g (2g Fiber)
Calcium: 15% DV
Iron: 15% DV